Current Address

Sister Jorden Elizabeth Jackson
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 115
National Highway
Brgy. Lingsat
San Fernando, La Union
2500,
PHILIPPINES

Monday, June 23, 2014

58 And Still Counting

June 16, 2014


There is a lady, named Mel, with a fishball stand. The first day I got to Baguio I tried talking with her at her little stand, chattin’ it up, being as nice as could be…she was cold! Super Cold! Anyway, I couldn’t get her to even crack a smile. So, I made it my goal to get her to be friends with me. We walk by her fishball stand every day, and every day I say, “Magandang umaga po Sister Mel!” No response.

This week we got punted pretty badly, so I had the idea of going and buying fishballs from Sis. Mel’s stand. We were talking to her as she cooked. I find that people think it’s pretty funny when I try to speak Ilocano to them, so I was trying Ilocano. Got nothing. The next best ice breaker is to ask what age they are, be SHOCKED and say they look 10 years younger than they are. Did that, then said, “Guess how old I am?” What did she say? “Fifty-eight.” I was super surprised and sort of horrified cause she was dead serious. After seeing my reaction she asked, “What? Higher or lower?” Uhh…LOWER! What the?! Her follow up guess? “Thirty-eight.” Wow. The mission has really aged me. People used to guess twenty-seven (which is still pretty far off – I’m only nineteen!)

Dad, I’ve been thinking about you a lot this week, it being Father’s Day and all. I miss you! Did you get my Father’s Day package? I wish I could talk to you, but Christmas is just around the corner. Love you so much Dad! Thank you for being such a good example for me and always being there for me. I am so blessed to be a part of our family.

I am also so blessed to have my whole family be a part of this gospel. Saturday at the baptism (!!) all three of the Kadatar Kiddos bore their testimonies. Their mom is a member of our church, but their dad is not. It was such a bitter-sweet moment. All three were so happy to be baptized, but also really sad that their dad was not there to support them. He said it was their choice, but he was not going to come to the baptism. So hard. We are praying continually for a miracle with him – first of all for him to be home so we can teach him (he has a crazy work schedule) but also for their family to become stronger as a result of this baptism, not further apart.

Love you dad! Hope ya had a great Father’s Day and everyone at home spoiled you. You are the best! :)
 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment