Current Address

Sister Jorden Elizabeth Jackson
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 115
National Highway
Brgy. Lingsat
San Fernando, La Union
2500,
PHILIPPINES

Monday, May 12, 2014

Things that make me smile! (Or at least spice up my day!)


Not gonna lie, this week was pretty awful. So, I’m just going to focus on the good, funny, or semi-interesting things that happened this week.

·         We had pizza night one night! Our house mates have a delicious pizza place in their area but it’s pretty expensive. All of us were feeling rather down, so they decided to buy pizza on their way home! We all pitched in…It was worth every peso!
       The detox night was priceless.
 

·         I found tons of nasty stuff on the stairs this week. Dead snakes, some headless dead chickens, dead mice (thank heavens some were dead), live rats, and lots of other random body parts from animals. The best…3 live kittens! They were hiding in the stairs.
       So adorable!

·         There was a cute little old lady hobbling along the road carrying her groceries and a walking stick with a machete tied to the end of it, and a huge bunch of bananas in her other hand. I walked over and tried to say, “Can I help you carry your bananas?” but I didn’t remember the word for “carry” so it came out, “Can I help you…bananas?” then I just kinda took ‘em from her and walked with her. Well, good thing I have a Filipino companion cause the banana lady thought I was stealing her bananas! I tried to explain! Ha ha it didn’t really work. She just kept saying, “They are for you! You keep them!” Oh man! We went with her all the way to her house where she sat us down, fed us bananas and gave us two bunches to take home! We are going back later tonight to teach her. :)

·         Super-missionary moment: I was walking along the road and there was a 3-year old (ish…maybe younger) boy holding a blue fuzzy little stuffed animal back pack, wearing jeans and a polo and Sunday shoes, standing on the side of the road SOBBING! All alone. Not a person in sight. I knocked on the closest house and asked them if they knew who his mom is – they didn’t. I tried talking to the little boy, but he was too worked up. There was only fruit salad in his backpack…nothing to identify him. I gave him my snacks to try to cheer him up and wiped the tears off his cheeks. I wish I could have given him a hug! (Not allowed as a missionary.) Well we stayed with him and I asked people walking by if they knew him…nobody did! Everyone was getting curious about who the kid belonged to, so they hung out to see. Soon we had quite the lil’ crowd trying to help this lil’ boy. Finally, a grandma with a baby strapped to her back said she knew where he lived and would take him home. Yes! Success!

·         Dad – I’m trying to celebrate the little victories!
        It’s working (I think) so thanks for that advice!

·         Mom – I got 2 letters from you on Tuesday! It takes longer for me to get letters now that I am here in Baguio but it was worth the wait! Thank you so much!

Love you all and miss you! Thank you for your prayers – I can really feel them!
 
Check out this sign! Oh my gosh! If this sign doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will! I laughed out loud when I first passed it in my area. :)
 
 
This is Sister Sawada. We have been in the same district since I got here! She has only been here one transfer longer than me. We are becoming close friends. She is from Hawaii and is super nice!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment