Current Address

Sister Jorden Elizabeth Jackson
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 115
National Highway
Brgy. Lingsat
San Fernando, La Union
2500,
PHILIPPINES

Monday, March 17, 2014

When Your Face is Shinier Than Your Lip Gloss


Summer is here in the Pines! I bought a fan – one of those collapsible hand held ones. I think it’s the best 10 pesos I’ve ever spent! I look like such a weirdo walking down the street constantly fanning myself, but hey, I kinda already look like a weirdo so oh well!

 Sweaty face! We left the house about 20 mins. before this picture was taken. Holy cow it's hot! 

Parkers! Thank you so much for the package and letters Tita [aunt] Heidi – I was literally just wishing for brownies two days before it arrived. I am SUPER excited to eat MAC N CHEESE and SPAGHETTI! Also, the Crystal Light is so masarap [delicious]! Love the Valentines! I think we will have to have a tattoo party bilang kabahay [as housemates] on “Transfers Adam”!  



Even though it was super hot this week, Sister Dizon and I got a LOT of work done! We crashed every night – so tired! I know it’s not about the numbers, but there are people behind the numbers… We taught 31 lessons this week! 31! Our average in this area is usually about 20! We taught lessons to people who haven’t been coming to church and to people who are not members of our church that wanted to learn about our religion. The sad part is no one came to church.

Sunday morning as a missionary is seriously like Christmas morning. We wait at the door of the chapel, shaking hands with members as they enter, wishing and hoping that the people we love, the people we teach and pray for and work for every day will be there. Once church starts we are still wishing and hoping, every time the door opens we turn around and look – just to have our hopes dashed. (Santa didn’t come.)
This week makes me think of 3 Nephi 28:9. Christ told the 3 Nephites who wanted to stay on earth that the only sorrow they would have would be from the sins of the world – not physical pain. All the sweat this week, all the blisters and sunburns and sore feet do not compare to the sorrow and pain on Sunday morning at church when the people we’ve taught aren’t there. It’s the worst feeling! Those poor 3 Nephites! The world has so much sin, and the sorrow of that is felt by them!

3 Nephi 28:9 And again, ye shall not have pain while ye shall dwell in the flesh, neither sorrow save it be for the sins of the world; and all this will I do because of the thing which ye have desired of me, for ye have desired that ye might bring the souls of men unto me, while the world shall stand.

Anyways, I think I will just share a couple of stories about this week – despite another sad ending (and they didn’t come to church).

When Sheila’s husband Oscar met us last week, he told us coffee and alcohol are bawal [forbidden] in our church. I said, “Yes! Don’t you want to know why?” Well, he did! So, we taught Sheila about the Word of Wisdom this week! During the lesson, Oscar was cooking, but he was totally listening and participating. We explained that Joseph Smith was a prophet and the Word of Wisdom is a commandment. We taught the “dos and don’ts” of the Word of Wisdom and then asked them to live it. Sheila said yes – no hesitation. Oscar thought about it for a bit. Then he said he would try to live it for a week and see how it goes. Oh my gosh! This was our first real lesson with him because before he would always sneak out or have something to do. He told us since he first met us he has been drinking and smoking less and less. He committed to cut out the 5 bawal substances completely for a week! We went back to Sheila’s house later this week and she told us that Oscar hasn’t been drinking or smoking at all! Coffee too! So great! I’m excited to go back and see how it is going!

We taught three different families this week with whom our lessons in the past were always kind of mediocre. We hadn’t really been able to teach to their needs. But, Sister Dizon is so great! I love how she really gets to know people and love them before we teach. Those three families this week – sobre maganda ang lessons nila! [envelope beautiful lessons they] 
[Hmm - not sure if google translate got this one right???]

Sunday morning on the jeepney, I was super tired and out of it and took a long time grabbing all of my stuff. The jeepney started driving away with me still inside! You should have seen the horror on Sister Dizon’s face! She started waving her arms and yelling, “WAIT!” (in English!) Then once I stopped the jeepney and got off she asked, “What are you doing?!” Ah ha ha I love her! I wish tone of voice could come through email!

Also, I ate balut*** this week! Yep. It was ok. Not as bad as I thought! But, as we were leaving the Rimpillios house (that’s where we ate it) Sister Dizon said, “It’s been a while since I ate balut.” When I asked why she said cause last time she got sick. DANG MAN! Both of us felt a bit queasy.

We had a five-zone conference this week! I curled my hair! It was monumental. Really. It’s been 3 months since I’ve done my hair. :) Elder Arder of the Quorum of the Seventy spoke to us; so did Sister Arder. It was really great! I love how they talked about how missions are great because you create such a strong dependency on God. There are SO many things that we could not do on our own. I also loved: “Don’t be anxious about yesterday, be thankful for today and look forward to tomorrow.” Great advice! I gotta just do what I can, and then be done. :)

This week really was great! Thank you for all your prayers and support! You’re the best!

Mahal Kita


*** A balut is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in the Philippines. Definition courteously of Wikipedia  [added by Jorden’s mom]


Sister Patricia's 99th birthday!!

Seriously - isn't she the cutest thing you've ever seen??

Sister Violetta and Sister Patricia both had birthdays this week. Thanks for the sticky notes, Heidi!

Jun Jun!

Chopping wood at Jun Jun's


Sister Dizon. And me and my curled hair!!

Housemates! Sister Dizon, Sister Price, and Sister Flores

Batch mates! We entered the mission field at the same time! Sister Flores, Sister Golightly, and Sister Lacdoo

Preparation-day excursion to the Chinese Temple last week



(Look closely behind us)










No comments:

Post a Comment