Current Address

Sister Jorden Elizabeth Jackson
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 115
National Highway
Brgy. Lingsat
San Fernando, La Union
2500,
PHILIPPINES

Monday, December 29, 2014

YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN’T HIDE!

December 15, 2014


You know Jonah? From the Old Testament? Here’s a brief summary as a refresher:

God called Jonah to Nineveh. Nineveh was an enemy of Jonah's country, Israel, so Jonah did not want to go to Nineveh. Jonah tried to hid from God and avoid the calling. He tried to travel elsewhere by ship. But there was a terrible storm. Jonah knew that God had caused the storm, so he asked the sailors to throw him into the sea. Jonah didn’t drown because God sent a whale to swallow him. Jonah prayed to God and thanked Him. God caused the fish to return Jonah to the dry land. Jonah went to Nineveh. He warned the people that they must repent of their evil deeds otherwise, God would destroy their nation. The people repented and God forgave them.

We all shake our heads and think, “Jonah, you idiot! You can’t hide from God! What are you thinking?” But then, we all do it. “Oh, I’m not going to gossip, I’ll just tell you this ONE story; don’t tell anyone else…” or “I’ll pay my tithing…next week.” Why do we think we can hide from God?

As missionaries, sometimes people hide from us. It makes me sad because we just want to help them come closer to Christ. But we will keep trying with them…and it makes the successes that much sweeter!

Elma is one of my favorite investigators. Is that bad? I love them all, of course. I just love how inquisitive Elma is. It shows that she is listening and that she cares. This week we taught her the Word of Wisdom. As my companion explained the “pagkain na bawal” (forbidden foods) Elma listened intently. Then she asked, “Why is coffee bawal?” My companion continued explaining but then Elma answered her own question…”I probably won’t understand why it’s bawal until I try abstaining from it. I’ll just stop drinking coffee, then I’ll know.” #faith #actionbeforeanswers

She also had a great question about The Plan of Salvation when we taught her about life before earth. She said, “My sister and I were talking about that when we were pregnant. When does the soul enter the body of the baby? From the mom? Or when it’s born?”

Another great insight from Elma: after we read about Adam and Eve in 2 Nephi 2:22-25 she said, “Huh. So if Adam and Eve didn't eat the fruit, we wouldn't be here on earth.”

Bro. Domingo passed the sacrament on Sunday! One of the Elders loaned him a tie and our branch mission leader traded shoes with him so that he could have black shoes. He looked so good! And so happy! He told us later that day, “It felt like I had wings!”

MOM! Thanks for the Christmas packages. We LOVE the decorations. My companion said in her prayer that night, “Thank you for Sister Jackson’s family, that they sent us beautiful Christmas decorations so we can feel the Christmas spirit.” *tender* The first Christmas away from home is so hard!


We are going to use the extras to decorate Bro. Domingo’s house. 
























Thanks for the new shoes!! This will be the last time in my life that I will open a box and exclaim, "CROCS!" I got blisters pretty bad the first day though. Not because they were too small, but because my feet were too big. My feet are all swollen from mosquito and ant bites. At the end of the day I just took off my shoes. I don't know if Sister Apin felt bad, or if she just wanted to join in the fun, but she took her shoes off too. :)







P.S. I might get a lil homesick next week - Christmas and all. But I really actually don't want to come home. Not because I don't love home, and not because I love the mission. I just really love serving the Savior. And it's SO EASY to serve the Savior ALL THE TIME when I am a missionary. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment